REVIEW: Games Workshop paints
Posted by General Biakal –
WHATS THE PRODUCT?
GW range of pants, washes and foundations
£2.25 per pot moving up to £100+ for the big sets
WHATS THE THINKING THEN?
I know what your thinking- this fat twats lost his mind. Why review a product we all use all day every day?
well, thats exactly my point. th GW paints are SO ubiquitous we sort of forget about them. like in "Shawshank" when Red talks about a mans shoes. Sometimes the obvious is easy to miss.
so what do we have? well, a large range of paints in colours that are pretty much household names. Mithril Silver, Red Gore, Bleached Bone- all very old, very inspiration names to any GW geek.
The newer products also deserve some recognition- the washes are actually awesome. and the foundations have started to become more popular in my little world too. and one can (if one tries) spot a few puns within the newer colours. for instance, Adeptus Battlegrey is exactly the same colour as the bare sprues your new toys come on.
the major problem with paints is: when you start the hobby you want to buy tanks and soldiers and stuff. paints are a little bit of a un budgeted expense that you really cant be bothered with. it makes the first stage of the hobby pretty intimidating and if i were them id be tempted to take a hit on the big paint sets as a loss leader... but then again the GW business model of "lets be a cunt" wont allow it.
In all i rate the paints from GW. I know thee are other brands and even copycat colours (vallejo) but on many counts GW paints win. see my 6 point plan below to see why
6 GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS PRODUCT:
1. available pretty much everywhere
2. consistant high quality (by and large) and you knowif you buy a dodgy one they will swop it NQA...
3. the colours you want with the manly names you want
4. fairly confident about stock stability (except minority colours)
5. each pot is pretty much pocket money price- one pint of beer
6. longevity of product- some of my paints are very very old (10 yrs ish or more)
6 SHIT THINGS ABOUT THIS PRODUCT
1. When your starting out paints are a MASSIVE expense
2. the lids are just plain shit- dried paint chunks, wont close properly- you know the score
3. hunt the colour when they are all in your toolbox
4. as with all GW products Id be happier if they were 15% cheaper (but they are not that bad really)
5. 12 fl/oz is not a huge amount
6. did i mention the lids? and how paint can run over the label?
LONG STORY SHORT...
for sheer "fuck it- its a couple of quid" ease of purchase as well as a decent level of quality you cant go wrong. and i know people buy Vallejo to save 50p per pot but, honestly, im really not that tight.
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|