Questions about rules & Eldar...

Ze German
This post was updated on .
Hello everyone!

By accident I rediscovered my ancient Space Crusade box over Christmas. Totally unplayable, unfortunately: in a real sorry state with figurines broken and parts missing... Nevertheless I got hooked up again, and it carried me away quite a bit. After a quick ebay search I found the best offer by a guy living two streets away - what a coincidence!

Now I need some help, though.
Back as a kid I never realized how poorly phrased some of the rules, event cards and equipments are.
For instance, how do other players handle the "marks of chaos" ?
They're either hardly useful (you pull an extra Orc), not really applicable (in missions with no reinforcements - where do they come in?), no use at all in missions where you get all reinforcement tokens) or super powerful (in missions where the alien players get all reinforcement tokens except dreadnaught - even one mark of chaos gives you a second dreadnaught).

Or "master controls" event card?
Who gets to control the doors: alien player or space marines? All space marines or one player only?

Many thanks in advance!

Re: Rules & Eldar...

Ze German
Similar question about "Warlock's Warning" from the Eldar expansion:
It makes no sense to play it in the Eldar player's turn, like normal equipment cards, does it?
(The alien player would simply attack another Eldar Warrior - this way the card is close to useless)
If played it during the alien player's turn:
Does it have to be played before the actual attack / once the alien player announces the shot?
Can it be played after the dice are rolled (i.e. only in case of a fatal hit)?
Can it even be played after a hand-to-hand combat is lost...? (this way the card is very powerful)

Concerning the order card "Combined Fire":
Can the three shots of the shuriken canon or the two shots of the Exarch be combined?

Judging from other forums' discussions I guess it is widely agreed that Eldar warriors roll 3 white dice in hand to hand combat when they carry light weapons?
(as opposed to what's written on the Eldar reference chart)

Re: Rules & Eldar...

Gold Bearer
Marks Of Chaos: We just played this one as written. Sometimes it means you get an extra dreadnought, sometimes nothing, depending on the mission. Never really saw it as a problem but you could house rule that you get to add a blank blip (I don't think there are any blank reinforcement tokens) as well or instead for every mark of chaos and roll a dice when it's revealed, 0 = Gretchin, 1 = Ork, 2 = Android, 3 = Roll again, 0 = Bolter Chaos Marine, 1 = Missile Launcher Chaos Marine, 2 = Chaos Commander, 3 = Dreadnought and roll again if you're using Mission Dreadnought, 0 = Mk VII, 1 = Mk VIII, 2 = Mk IX, 3 = Mk X.

Master Controls: It's for the marine players. We played this as the alien player picks a player and they can open or close any doors straight away and then carry on as normal but in the computer game the player could open and close any doors for the rest of the mission. The computer game is a bit different though, I don't think that's how it's supposed to work.

Warlocks Warning: Play this card to avoid death, after the dice have been rolled and they've actually died.

Combined Fire: This one's awkward. The only way that makes sense is that you can take some of the eldar's shots out of sequence, and you use one shot of a shuriken cannon. I'll give an example, you play the order at the start of your turn, a missile lancher moves and shoots normally, another missile launcher moves into position and you combine its shots with a shuriken cannon and las cannon that combines both its shots, you roll for all three separately and apply the combined score to the target square and add the missile launcher's highest dice to the las cannon's score on the squares they overlap. In other words each shoots normally and the scores are added together where they overlap. Now the missile launcher has had its turn, the las cannon can only move and the shuriken cannon has two shots and movement when it takes its turn.

Eldar Hand To Hand: That's not how I'd play it. The eldar are already really strong and the exarch uses 3W as standard with a force sword. After reading the rule book again it could be interpreted as the heavy weapon eldar get 3W, that would somewhat compensate for their massively reduced movement. Another method I like is that the eldar all get 3W if they're playing solo but 2W if they're with marines.