Well, I've made some monster cards for HQ of my own, I hope you like them.
I've made cards for existing and new monsters, I'm trying to make a complete deck. Well, as complete as I can be.
I wanted to add more to my games, and found Zenithfleet's fantastic EU remastered cards at Ye Olde Inn.
But there were still a few things that nagged me:
- All EU cards have a banner with text on the back over the image, EXCEPT monster cards and quest treasure cards.
- Monster cards have black borders, while all others do not (except men-at-arms).
- Quest treasure items are really unique items, or artefacts. (I looked up the spelling, and I prefer artefacts)
In British English, artefact is the main spelling and artifact a minor variant. In American English, artifact is the usual spelling. Canadians prefer artifact and Australians artefact, according to their respective dictionaries. Artefact reflects Arte-fact(um), the Latin source.
That aside, I wanted to start calling the unique quest treasures "artefacts", including the additional cards Zenithfleet made. But that also meant his Scroll cards would suddenly become artefacts. So I took the Scroll cards from Flint, and used the backs from those designs, and the fronts from Zenithfleet, creating a seperate deck.
Now Zargon/Morcar can use these for quest treasures as follows:
- if he wants a certain room/chest/boss to have a specific artefact or spell scroll, he simply states it, and hands the searching hero the card.
- if he wants a certain room/chest/boss to have a random artefact, he can have a player pick a cart from the artefact deck.
- if he wants a certain room/chest/boss to have a random scroll, he can have a player pick a cart from the scroll deck.
I think this gives the DM more control over the items he wants to put in a quest as loot. If all of these were just Quest Treasure cards (with the red book backside), a hero could draw a scroll or a unique item, ranging from extremely usefull to almost useless, depending on the situation. Now you can at least choose what you want the players to find, and still keep it random.
This is especially usefull if a party loses a valuable unique item (artefact), and needs it back. Just put the item back into the artefact deck, and with some luck, they draw it in the next quest.
So far, I've finished the monster cards. More to follow.
Updates to follow:
- WoM monster cards - DONE
- AtOH monster cards are already created by Cyber333 - link - BQP monster cards (need balanced EU stats) (all except the ogre, just use Cyber333's card) - DONE
- EQP monster cards (need balanced EU stats) - DONE
- BQP/EQP artefacts, treasure, spells (need balanced EU stats)
Perhaps you can lend a hand with the balancing of the US cards to EU versions? Any help is appreciated!
Here is the zip file: Sjengs_Monster_Cards_v2.0.pdf I've added the original HQ monsters as well, in case you want to print them all and have the same "look" (and keep your precious original cards safely stocked away).