well, after being spanked by chaos twice and absolutly dickslapped by space wolves iv finally won one.
and won it well.
i deployed first- perfect scenario against tau.
I knew i needed something special for this so for the first time i used a character in my army- Nork deddog. he went with my second command squad (HSO, 4 flamers) to give it a real assaulty flavour.
i used a very static defence line accross the middle, two full squads and a command squad with 4x plasmas. they were up high on a building, their 24" range useful slap bang inthe middle. one sentinel raced up each narrow edge with the salamander also on the right flank.
the armoured fist squad just blazed full speed accross the table, disembarking in rapid fire range of some fire warriors. this very aggressive squad didnt really fullfil its potential but i honestly thought yelling banzai up the middle might pay off.
the other HQ squad (HSO, 4 meltas, powerfist) also moved up the right flank but didnt really break any records. one crisis suit fell to them.
the assaulty HQ squad did mixed results- took out about half a squad of fire warriors and 2 or 3 stealth suits.
demolisher didnt really make any inroads. most stuff seem ed out of range all the time.
the leman russ took out about 10 fire warriors and maybe 2 crisis suits- ok but nothing supadupa.
the lascannon in the 2nd infantry squad took out at leat two crisis suits which felt nice.
the mortar pinned a unit of fire warriors- ho hum.
i had some shocking scatter dice rolls which made me a bit sad.
the main feature of the battle was a hand to hand with the assaulty HQ and 6 or so stealth suits. even with Norks WS5 and a much higher initiative they gradually muched through the squad. I was starting to think a power sword would be better than a second plasma pistol. nice for shooting but gash in CC. the HSO lasted almost to the end but was cut down. both he and deddog suffered a bit from a shooting round that took a wound off each of them.
hardened veterans? pah. gash again. every battle i expect great things from the and get nowt. however the shotguns did kill a crisis suit. the meltaguns (x3) all missed and in close combat th sergeant who with his powersword could reallt make a difference kept failing to wound. i n the end they were run down by the HQ crisis suit that actually was quite hard. he then went on to rout my mortar armed troops squad (no great loss- the mortar was no good now as there were no fire warriors left!) but before they ran for it they did manage to take out his sheild drone. without his 4+ invulnerable the plasma HQ squad ruined his day.
1. your chimeras are going to be toasted anyway. full speed at the closest fire warriors, spin on the spot and deploy. hopefully your in rapid fire range.
2. plenty of plasmas and meltas.
3. flamers are very useful- 12 FW soon become 8 with a decent flame shot
4. dont be too confident about CC. yes your WS and I are much higher but they can be quite tough and hard to wound. plus their 4+ save is not that bad- a 50/50 chance of walking away from a decent hit. for exapmle stealth suits need a six to wound from a normal guardsman and have a save of 3+!
5. wach out for their gats. even the FW have S5 rifles and those burst cannons and gun drones can hurt
6. there is normally loads of them in big games so they are packed tight. if u have a demilisher with plasma guns use them. my dem has a HB hull mounted and two plasma cannons. the HS and HB took out some troops in the target squad and the plasmas scattered at hit (instant deathing) some crisis suits.
5. get crisis suits in CC as quick as poss. those rail guns can be nasty