Another Carrion Crawler
Posted by MortiS-the-Lost –
I've converted the model, I've painted the model, I've used it in a game and I've photographed the model for the forum. So now I've got to write about the model (and a good number of people who look at the pictures won't bother to read what I write)
The miniature originally came from the D&D adventure board-game and had an odd 'goatee' of short tentacles under the chin. Inspired by a conversation I had with fellow forum member chaos-warrior after the post I made about the First Carrion Crawler I painted, I decided to have a go at converting this miniature you see here.
The first job was to remove the original tentacles using a sharp knife, due to the slightly rubbery nature of the plastic the initial cutting proved easy but cleaning up the cut afterwards not so much so. I also at the same time cut away at the gravestone-number-marker-thing to shape it into a rock.
I decided quite early on that I didn't want to use the square integral base that the miniature originally came on, but the soft-plastic would make it very difficult to separate it without damaging the miniature, so I cheated! I took a 40mm WarMachine style base and cut a square hole in it and glued the integral base inside the new base using the superglue and baking soda trick (you can still see the square base if you peek underneath). I then used some Milliput to sculpt a dungeon-floor like texture over the top of both bases.
Next I went about adding the new tentacles, having failed in my initial plan to make my own using wire and green stuff, I decided to buy a set of tentacles and thanks to Tim Fitch of Miniature-Heroes I was able to purchase a set of the very same tentacles as those of my first Carrion Crawler (in fact I bought 2 lots them with the mind to use them on other monsters too). The tentacles were fitted to the model by simply drilling holes the same diameter as the tentacles into the jaw, then super-gluing them in (essentially using the tentacles as their own pins) and bending them to shape after the glue had set. I learned the hard way that I really should have drilled the holes for the tentacles before I attached the miniature to it's new base, as the base got in the way of drill and made it rather more difficult than it needed to be.
I used a little GreenStuff to add a 'trail' of slime around the crawler in imitation of the Reaper version and glued a few rocks to the base. The skull on the base is from the 1998 plastic Warhammer Skeletons sprue and I've included a close-up of it in the main image to show how much more detailed it is than the skulls on current ones.
The model received almost exactly the same paint job as my first Carrion Crawler, so I won't bother repeating myself here.
Talking of not bothering, I'm not going to post any bonus pictures this time until I get a comment or 2 out you people … I'm waiting (and I probably will be for some time)
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|