3 Recently Painted Things
Posted by MortiS-the-Lost –
2 recently painted miniatures standing in a small section of my converted MK3DD dungeon with my also recently painted (and scratch built) portcullis.
The undead creature is a 'Death Knight' from TSR's DragonStrike. The model is rather taller than your average 28/30mm zombie type – it stands head and shoulders over human-sized figures (nearing the 40mm mark) – due to this it rather stands out, so it will probably end up being used as some kind of zombie leader/boss creature (rather like the hollow-man champions in the Fable series).
Like all the other plastic Dragon Strike miniatures it's a pretty terrible miniature with a few bits of good detail here and there. The paint job is an approximation of one on the side of the Dragon Strike box-tray which I copied from memory because I didn't have the box to hand at the time of painting.
The red-haired warrior-girl is a rather old miniature, I'm not sure who the manufacturer was but at a guess I'd say it was probably made by Grenadier or Ral Partha - the integral base was probably marked on the underneath, but I can't remember and now of course it's been glued onto a plastic base and filled out with Miliput so there is no way of checking. I did a minor bit of conversion work on this miniature in the form of replacing her original ponytail/top-knot with a longer flowing one cut from a Citadel Plastic Ork.
I won't blab on about the paint job but I'm quite pleased with her bright ginger hair and what's more it was very simple to do as well; over a black undercoat I heavily dry-brushed 2 layers of Citadel Blazing Orange, washed with Citadel Chestnut Wash and re-highlighted with Blazing Orange.
For a while now I've been wanting to add a portcullis to my dungeon set-ups but it's surprisingly hard to find anything (plastic-rod and so on) that fits well enough into the holes in the MK3DD floor pieces to make compatible pieces. One plan for a long time now has been to produce portcullises using a rapid prototyping service, Rob has been working on this for a few months now but the project has been plagued by computer problems and other difficulties.
So as a stop-gap I made the portcullis you see above – the break through that allowed me to begin construction was when I discovered the injection points on the sprues of my recently purchased Wargames Factory Orcs are an exact match for the MK3DD wall pegs. The rest of the portcullis is made from square plastic-rod and bits of sprue with rivets shaved off some beaten up bits of an old Citadel Space Orks Battle Wagon glued onto the cross points (on one cross point I drilled a hole make it appear a rivet was missing) I used Milliput to fill the gaps and joins, which I filed down smooth before painting.
^ The portcullis before filling and painting
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|